Friday 15 March 2013

Colette Sewing Challenge



I am an extremely lazy sewer. I'm not known for my patience, so I constantly take shortcuts to get to the finished article. Of course, this means that whenever something is finished, it has dodgy seams, lumpy hems and, half the time, makes me look like some sort of fruit and/or vegetable. What I need is a self-imposed arbitrary challenge of some kind!

Since I have just received a copy of the Colette Sewing Handbook for my birthday, and am starting to really make time for sewing again in a way I haven't for a couple of years now, I'm going to do things properly. I'm going to force some good habits on myself, while making every single Colette pattern. Properly.

The rules:

1. I will sew every single Colette pattern at least once. I've chosen Colette because they're awesome, because their shapes suit me and because there's a decent number of patterns for this sort of thing.
2. I will follow every single step in the Colette instructions without using shortcuts.
3. I will fit every pattern. Whether that's with a pin fitting, a basting fit or a muslin (or several), depends on how complicated the garment is.
4. I don't have a deadline, because the point of this is to do things well, not to do them quickly.
5. I can still make other things, and I will be allowed to take shortcuts and experiment with anything that's not a Colette pattern, because sometimes you just feel like playing about with fabric without having a specific garment you need. 

I, the undersigned, agree to follow the above rules, and to try to document my progress so the world can gaze at my toil.

Trixie Rocket.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Colette Patterns, I just think they're brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment